Amazon Fire TV
The Amazon Fire TV used to be available in a traditional slim box, but is now available in a even smaller dongle, which you can connect directly to your TV's HDMI port. The Fire TV runs Amazon Fire OS and it's the Fire TV Stick's bigger brother.
- Very affordable for its performance level.
- Relatively small and therefore easy to mount behind any screen.
- You can install the Playr playback app on it, making it run fully automatically.
- Fully controllable it with the included remote control, so you don't need a separate keyboard and/or mouse.
- Only available in countries that have their own Amazon store.
- Playback is unfortunately unreliable. Especially when your channel includes video.
- Won't play all animations fully smoothly.
- The installation of the playback app is a bit cumbersome. Updating the app in the future is also a manual process.
Unfortunately we can only recommend this player for static content. It's too unreliable for playing video. It crashed several times during our tests.